Secrets and Hope in Our Mad World

Early in 2017 I read George Marshall’s book ‘Don’t Even Think About It: Why We are Wired Not to Think About Climate Change’ and I decided I would think about it. And I would read about it. Then I would write about it.

I write as a 'non-expert' and I'm hoping that your comments will help me to see whether the insights I've

gained make sense, whether the conclusions stack up and whether it's realistic for me to start feeling

hopeful about the future .

A Future to believe in

Went to London to hear Bernie Sanders speak on Friday.  What an exciting and uplifting evening it was.
He was talking about his defeat in trying to be selected as the Democratic candidate in the US presidential election. He's full of energy, very charistmatic and stirring. Because of the rapturous standing ovation he got from the audience it feels almost sacrilegious to make any negative comments, but I came away feeling a bit let down. Perhaps I'd been expecting too much.
The main thrust of his talk was how big money has taken over our world and how people are feeling let down and powerless.  They turned to Donald Trump to change things.  And he's pretty clever at saying what they want to hear.
I think I was expecting more about how we can change things but having listened to him I guess there is no 'magic bullet'.  If there is one I think he would have found it by now.  Perhaps his biggest message was that the huge number of people who have supported him is the beginning of a 'political revolution' and that his defeat mustn't be consigned to history but should be seen as part of the move towards a fairer and more sustainable future.
It sounds good but I'm still left wondering whether our 'democratic' process is really up to delivering any sort of significant change.  Let's face it, the powerful elite would prefer the status quo and there are already signs that steps are being taken which could be construed as ensuring the 'masses' aren't able to bring about change.
For democracy to run freely we are supposed to be an 'informed' electorate but most of our mainstream media is in the hands of a few corporations.  In recent times its become obvious that billionaires have even taken over much of social media to get their message across and to keep an eye on any peasants who start to get out of hand.
Then there are the limits being put on free expression and protest.  The privatisation of much public space (such as outside the GLC building in London) means that no public protest is allowed there.  After the Occupy movement,  squatting, previously a civil offence, became a criminal offence.   Many people are worried that the restrictions on and surveillance of individuals, put in place as a means of combating terrorism,  can also be a very useful way of monitoring any social unrest and protest not related to terrorism (am I on their list now?)
So,  I guess my question to Bernie Sanders is:  Are you really convinced that our present democratic process is up to bringing us a 'political revolution?' 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good to have your feedback. Thanks for commenting.